Tuesday, May 22, 2012

It All Began a Year Ago...Celebrating Being a Runner for One Year Today!

......it all begin on May 22, 2011 with the Weight Watcher's Walk It Challenge.  I was wearing my tennis shoes that I had been wearing in the garden because it was all that I had.  I drove to Salem alone telling my family that I was running a 5K but I did not ask anyone to go with me, after all I had not been running and I was not really sure if I could do the run.  I just knew I wanted to earn the 5K charm for my Weight Watcher's Key Chain and so off I went.  I got lost on the way trying to find the school where the race was being held (the website had the wrong school so I ended up really lost and having to call the number to find the way).  At last I was there and ready to run and run I did, okay really it was a very very very slow jog but I can say that I did not stop to walk during the whole 3.1 miles and it only took me 59 minutes a very long 59 minutes but I will always remember the feeling of running through the balloon arch and having them hand me my 5K Star that said "I did it" on one side and 5K on the other.  A simple toy star that will always be a treasure to me because it truly changed my life.  An amazing first step in what would become a life's journey.

A journey that has led me to run in 1 marathon, 5 1/2 Marathons, 7 10Ks and 5 5Ks plus put in an average of 20 plus miles a week with a month that I even ran 126 miles.  Running has become not just a healthy habit but it has truly become a life style for me.  I love running!  I love the feel that I have before a run, I love the feeling I have as I push myself to go further, faster and harder then I have ever gone before, to step out of my comfort zone and overcome my fears, I love the feeling I have after I have finished a run, a feeling that often stays with me the whole day.  I love the people I have met and the ones I will meet as I put one foot in front of the other and run on down the road. 

2 comments:

  1. very cool Cinder! you are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a crazy, incredible year you have had! So many ups and downs. From now on, I vote for all ups and lots of miles!

    ReplyDelete